Santiago Tlatelolco Temple

 

The Temple of Santiago Tlatelolco was built on the place where Mexicas resisted military attack during 80 days. In January 1522 Hernan Cortes decided to construct a city and erase all evidence of the Prehispanic greatness. He designated Tlatelolco as Indigenous lordship and Cuauhtemoc as it ruler, naming it Santiago to honor the patron saint of Cortes troops. Franciscan order was in charge of it.

In 1536 was founded the Colegio de la Santa Cruz de Tlatelolco. Religious men as Bernardino de Sahagun, Andres de Olmos, Arnoldo de Basaccio and the Indigenous friar Juan Badiano, author of the codex named after him and related to Mexican herbalist, studied and lived there.

In 1585 the church was flanked by the hospital and college of Santa Cruz. Fray Juan de Torquemada inaugurated it in 1610, with the appearance it has to present. The church was in service until the Reform, when it was looted and abandoned.

In late 19th century, Porfirio Diaz propelled development of railroads and the surroundings of the church changed. In the northern terrain yards, rails, warehouses and train unloading areas were installed. Aduana del Pulque (Pulque Customs) was built in the northeast terrain, a structure controlled to present by the Foreign Affairs Ministry (SRE).

 

The Temple of Santiago Tlatelolco was used as warehouse and the convent turned into a military jail until 1944, when the team leaded by Pablo Martinez del Rio recommended that the church should be open again to cult.

When conquerors arrived to Tlatelolco they ordered the destruction of Mexica vestiges and legacy. They used Prehispanic sculptures to built Santiago Apostol Temple. To present, a fragment of a deity linked to the earth, Tlaloc or Tlaltecuhtli can be observed in the back of the.

 

Eje Central Lázaro Cárdenas esq. Flores Magón, Nonoalco, Tlatelolco; Ciudad de México, C.P. 06900

Teléfono 57-82-22-40 y 55-83-02-95